Creative Estuary has a vision to forge a new future founded on creative energy and innovation, along the length of the Thames Estuary.
Supported by CDF investment our aims are to transform 60 miles of the Thames Estuary across Essex and Kent into one of the most exciting creative clusters in the world. We’re going to do this by developing the places where the creative industries can build a vibrant and prosperous future, enriching communities and strengthening the region. We will:
- Give people access to excellent quality art by commissioning new creative talent that attracts new audiences and participants, including Estuary Festival
- Develop and promote a shared identity for the Thames Estuary, making it in one of the most attractive locations for creative businesses to work, collaborate and grow
- Create sustainable workspaces and support the people and networks needed to embed creative industries in the region
- Embed arts and culture into the design and function of new developments and public spaces
- Champion the next generation of creative talent and future leaders, providing mentoring, training and access to aspirational projects and opportunities
- Learn from and share with programmes across the UK and internationally to strengthen local leadership, expertise and knowledge
- Demonstrate the potential of the Thames Estuary Production Corridor
The project is led by the University of Kent on behalf of a consortium of public sector and cultural organisations. They include the South East Local Enterprise Partnership (SELEP), Kent and Essex County Councils, the Greater London Authority, 11 local authority areas represented by Greater North Kent and Opportunity South Essex, South East Creative Economy Network (SECEN), University of Essex, Locate in Kent and cultural organisations Metal and Cement Fields.
Since 2021, Creative Estuary is a proud member of the Global Cultural Districts Network.